Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Cowgirl Pony Party (Part 2: The Grub)

I was still busy prepping food when the kids started getting a bit wild. Who could blame them, it's a party! So we sent them outside to try out their stick ponies, and enjoy a cold beverage from the corral (cooler). It was stocked with root beer, sarsaparilla, and of course chocolate milk boxes. What cowhand wouldn't enjoy this selection?

The dads kept an eye on the kids, while inside we (mostly moms) put the finishing touches on the food, and had pink lemonade and cowgirl caviar to tide us over.

I had the carafe & burlap 'n lace runner left from my Vintage Woodland Baby Shower!
 

Yes, it's COWGIRL Caviar! What's the difference from the more common cowboy version? I took this Cowboy Caviar recipe (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/17170042303965717/) and made it my own by leaving out the black beans and peppers (and slightly adjusting ingredient quantities). Here's my Cowgirl Caviar:

    5 diced Roma tomatoes
    1/2 chopped red onion
    4 cloves crushed garlic
    1 small handful chopped cilantro
    1 can corn
    2 teaspoons salt
    Juice from 1 lemon

    Allow the mixture to set in the fridge for at least a couple hours before serving.

I kept the menu simple and kid friendly by doing single serve finger foods. Cowgirls don't use utensils anyway right? I purchased troughs (disposable tins) for the kids to load their food in.

Including Watermelon Pitchforks.


Ranch Carrots, and Rice Krispies Hay Bales.


It just so happened Target stores had some cute little wood pens for sale in their Dollar Spot area. So I used those to put some of the food in

I also rustled up some Lasso Dills, and Gold Nuggets!

I admit I have poor handwriting, but chalk sure is tough to write nicely with.

The "lassos" were extra skewers left over from the Vintage Woodland Baby Shower. And though we never really have them at home, we thought chicken nuggets would be a crowd pleaser over all, and they were. BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders, and Campfire Baked Beans were also on the menu! As you can see, there was plenty of selection to accommodate kids and adults alike.

I considered doing it all a bit fancier. Fancy is actually quite easy to do, but kids and cowgirls like it simple (and within reach). So that's what I did and everyone was happy, and full. But not too full for cake! My sister & brother-in-law treated the birthday cowgirl to a pony cake.


The lower, pink, portion was chocolate, and the horse part was vanilla. Each with three layers of deliciousness.

And if that didn't stuff the kids tummies enough, they were sent home with a baggy of homemade Trail Mix including cheerios, pomegranate Craisins, almonds, chocolate chips, and Jet-Puffed Mallow Bits (tiny marshmallows). All tied up with a pink or brown twine bow.

Follow me on Pinterest to check out my Cowgirl Pony Party board to see which pins inspired this party!

We also had a second birthday party to celebrate with family. At that party the main dish was:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/17170042304072775/
And boy were they good, and EASY! I highly recommend this pin. The only thing I did differently from their recipe was to use only 1/2 an onion. I happened to have a 1/2 red onion left over from the day (party) before. Yum, yum, yum.

I also had a Pinterest recipe fail while prepping for party number two. Which was completely my fault. I intended to make these Tortilla Pinwheels, I was going to call them Wagon Wheels.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/17170042303965578/
I had 4 hours to go before the guests arrived, when I remembered that the instructions say to refrigerate the pinwheels for at least 6 hours before serving. Ugh, that was so frustrating! I had all the ingredients and was ready to make them, but I couldn't do it in time for the party. So instead I went out and bought some good bread. I made texas toast topped with butter and fresh garlic. It was a delicious place holder for the pinwheels.

I did make the pinwheels a week later. I altered the recipe by leaving out the veggies and instead using chunky salsa. I also used half plain flour tortillas, and half jalapeno cheddar tortillas. This gave you a spicier option, and also made the plate more attractive with the variation of white and orange pinwheels.

Next event, I need to hire a photographer! So many things I didn't get a chance to photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment