Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Skinny Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Yum. This is a pin worth repeating! Though, of course, I made a few enhancements that I think really made it enjoyable. Below are photos from the website the pin came from. 

http://inspiredreamer.com/chicken-enchilada-casserole/

And here are their ingredients:
1.5 lbs chicken (cooked & chopped or shredded)
1 can enchilada sauce
1/2 can corn
1/2 can black beans (rinsed)
1/2 cup chopped onions
4 low-carb tortillas
1.5 cups shredded cheese

They list a 1/2 can of corn...but I just used the small size can of corn. The style tortillas I had on hand were larger than the ones in the photo, so I only needed 3 (one and a half for each layer). The small amount of tortilla that sticks up on the side of the baking dish got a bit hard/crisp...and delicious! When placing the 1.5 cups of shredded cheese on the dish, it seemed like it might be a bit minimal, but it was actually just right. Their recipe called for beans and onions, which I omitted. I'm really not a fan of any sort of bean (unless you count vanilla bean & cocoa bean)! To make up for the lack of veggies, I topped the casserole with shredded lettuce and tons of juicy tomatoes. Maybe that helped keep the dish on the skinny side. But what I'm thinking really made the flavor of the dish was good enchilada sauce. I used, for the first time but not the last, the Chi-Chi's brand medium enchilada sauce.

The dish was great. Maybe it's because we didn't have a chance to eat dinner until 7:45 at night, or maybe it was just that good. Try it and you be the judge! And then let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I have a good recipe for a good homemade enchilada sauce if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY liked the Chi-Chi's enchilada sauce, but I've never made my own before! Please post it here.

    ReplyDelete